Wednesday 8th February 2012
Facilitating: Joel Hynes
Overnighters – Thomas
Only four occupiers last night; two visits from council today, some NTCs issued (including for the broom, which was seized) but in general no big problems. POI from Michael stressing radical self-reliance.
Kitchen – Connie
The KWG needs to have a meeting; Moustafa is on strike. Connie has found a table she wants to buy for the kitchen, but needs money.
Logistics – Yikes
Office at Irene’s has been successfully cleaned out.
Education – Joel
EWG is meeting at State Library tomorrow 4pm. Also, there’s a whole bunch of stuff on Friday. POI from Yikes about screening of END:CIV at OccFri.
Media – Joel
OM has been in the media a fair bit this week, as has Doyle talking about OM, using softer language than in the past. Hassle from Council this week is very much a reaction to media coverage. POI from Simon Dicko: Doyle is like a rapist; it doesn’t matter if he’s being hard or soft.
Sam Castro – Direct Action
Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement DFAT public consultation meeting mic check action took place this morning. Explanation of TPPA. Account of action. Actioon was highly successful.
Working Group Proposals
- No WG proposals.
- “That the permanent occupation of City Square that commenced on Monday 20th January 2012 is formally recognised and supported as an Occupy Melbourne action.” (from Teigan
- PASSED (unanimously; approx 23 in favour; some abstention)
- “For one day we set up shop at City Square as a ‘Re-Occupy’ event, advertised as such, with structures, etc (disposable ones we can lose), much like Occupy Fridays but once off as a test, and to show we’re still here and strong to MCC and the media.” (from Kenji)
- Free discussion of this. Temperature check. Some support; some dissent.
- Motion by Sam Castro to table proposal until next GA, with additional clause: “This is to be a targeted, strategically planned event, as a vigil over three days, open to all groups, to support James and the Federal Court Case.” – PASSED
- Indy: Teigan has purchased a dedicated phone for the occupation, but it has no credit. Hat passed. $27.45 raised.
- Joel: I’m making a website, with a calendar that everyone can add to. We’re too focussed on Facebook.
- Simon Dicko: Apparently the Facilitation WG no longer exists. Can we start a new one? POI from Joel explaining the background to this situation. Some discussion of this.